Saturday, August 6, 2011

New Adventures in Pattern design

Okay, I know it's been half a year since I've blogged, only because I have had a lot going on lately. Fast forward, what I'm doing now is learning Transformational Reconstruction pattern design techniques. It is a technique developed by Shingo Sato of Tokyo.  I have been having so much fun with it. Actually I'm learning a lot about pattern making through using this technique using ready made patterns.  I'd previously had some difficulty learning flat pattern-making, so this technique opened my mind to the art of displacing darts in order to achieve different sculptural or artistic shapes in my garments. Thanks to this technique, I understand the concept much better now.
There are a group of videos on youtube showing examples of the TR pattern design process. There's also a book available with DVD's at www.centerforpatterndesign.com.  I've purchased the book, and I'm waiting on it to arrive, so I'll share some of it with you when I get it. 
I've done a little experimenting already and I have a couple of projects to show you. 

1.  Here's my take on a 3d design draping technique. I'm happy with the way it turned out for a first try, but next time I'll add less volume.  I used a scrap of brown satin, which I backed with black cotton.












 
2. After trying the bodice, I thought I'd learned a little something, so I decided to try removing the dart    from a pencil skirt pattern. I wanted to add a contrast design in the skirt so I cut a modified diamond shape in the front and back.  I used a fun cotton print I had on hand and black pique fabric. 
 Front-close up
  Back-close up
 Front-full view
 Back-full view

Sorry, I don't have the step by step photos. I was anxious to get it done. I'll be sure to take photos and explain the process next time. 

TTYL...Stay tuned, there's more to see.

Peace, 
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...