Friday, February 26, 2010

Study, Study, Study....

I'm excited about learning something new!!  I got two books I ordered online in the mail today. 1)  Make Your Own Patterns by Rene Bergh (I have the 2006 edition) and 2) Jacket, Coats and Suits from Threads (1992).  You may already know that I purchased the pattern making book by Don McCunn just last month.  I think it's wise to gather all the knowledge about pattern making I can because I want to be skilled in various techniques.  Besides, the Bergh book offers better illustration and examples plus 1/4 scale patterns in the back of the book for practice.  That's all I've gathered so far, but as I study, I'll let you know if there's anything interesting worth mentioning.   

As for the Threads book, I wanted to improve my tailoring skills with jackets and it fit the bill plus it was cheap too. 

Right now I'm working on an a-line sundress pattern, getting it ready for fitting. It was simple to do and will be my first pattern for sale on line.  I'll have pics for you by mid March and It will be available then too.  

Stay tuned, there's more to see...


Saturday, February 20, 2010

Petal Vance Project - BR Volume 1

All done!! In the middle of planning spring dresses, alterations, and early spring cleaning,  I completed two petal valances and two neck roll pillows for a new client in Decatur. It took me about an hour to install the valances this morning. The color scheme matches two beautiful striped slipper chairs accent chairs in shades of chocolate brown, blue, gold and cream. 
I created the pattern for the valance in Inkscape. They were very simple.  It took a little time to get the scale and dimension right, but I think they turned out superb.

This is the first of several drapery projects I'll complete for this client. Fortunately we'll do them over a period of time since the homeowners are bi-city dwellers, splitting their time between Georgia and NYC. 

I love my clients...they're the best!  Here's feedback from my client sent shortly after I emailed her photos of the valances (FYI - she's still in NYC, her husband was home to supervise the install).
Stay tuned for BR Volume 2.  


Thursday, February 11, 2010

Project Sweater Dress

Last night… hem…I mean this morning, I completed a sweater dress for my co-work who is wearing it on her Valentine’s Day date with her husband this weekend. I created the pattern for it myself and it took three hours to put it all together. Yay!! Of course I made a sample top for her fitting to work out widening the neckline a little, and I finally fixed what was wrong in the pattern and voila!

Its terrible photographing black, but the photos below give you a pretty good idea of how it looked.

Here is the pattern laid out over the fabric. Here’s a tip: artists tracing paper is just transparent enough and sturdy enough to use as a pattern. I found 20” wide paper at Jo-Ann Fabrics, but I’m on the hunt for a 30” or 36” roll so that I won’t have to tape it together for larger pattern pieces.

Here’s the dress just before I did the hems. I made a 1 ½ “hem on the sleeves and decided to do a narrow hem on the bottom because the fabric was thick.
Here’s the front and back views of the dress finished. My co-worker was very pleased with the result. She hates to show her shape because she’s busty, but I convinced her that the A-line style would give her definition without being too clingy. Success!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...