Sunday, January 31, 2010

Research, Research, Research...


Well, has is now been 30 days since my epiphany moment that has flung me into the path of pattern making.  Little did I know this would be a big undertaking, but I ain't scared. 
I found someone here in Atlanta who teaches pattern making, but the classes won't begin until late February.  I don't mind waiting, but it's hard to get the woman to call me back or answer the phone, so....I'm a little leery. Nevertheless, I've moved on for now and besides, I recently found an old book that my dear friend Marian gave me a while ago.  I almost forgot I had it.  Just too much on my mind lately I guess.  Anyway, the book is titled "Design Your Own Dress Patterns" by Adele P Margolis.  It's kind of dated (1971), but it has most everything I need to know about making my own patterns.  It's funny, although I've been sewing for years, there's so much I don't know about patterns.  Well that won't be the case for long because even-though I was a little intimidated initially, to my surprise, I understood it.  The illustrations were a big help. I'm a visual person, ya know.  
As I write this entry, I've just purchased another book,  How to Make Sewing Patterns by Donald McCunn.  The Margolis book doesn't teach you how to draft your own slopers, but McCunn's book does.  I need all the help I can get. (ha, ha)
I'm now deciding on which look I want to debut.  I've looked through hundred's of vintage styles I've collected and I'm thinking about making a cute Spring/Summer dress for my Etsy sewers.  I'll let you know how that develops.
Oh, I almost forgot, I've also been practicing drawing on Inkscape and using GIMP as well to make my patterns look as professional as possible until I can afford a CAD program for pattern making. I recommend them, for beginners like me who are computer savvy.  
I've got a lot of work to do, but I truly feel alive and blessed to be inspired again. 
Stay tuned, there's more to see...
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...